CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 31, 2006

Weekend Wetness ...

Well okay then… Mike and Paddy are off to Alaska for a cruise and mucho sightseeing and as such I’m hanging out at their place keeping the dogs entertained and making sure the house doesn’t burn down. Kinda nice actually as the house is air conditioned unlike my current residence and there’s a pool in the backyard which really helps things out given how humid it’s been lately. Their daybed is 10 times more comfortable than my queen at home so I think I’m going to be shopping a new mattress and such. I’ve been sleeping really good the last couple of days. Probably cuz I’ve bowled my butt off in league and been throwing on the side with Jared and Mary, Pat, Jason and Melissa. Pat and I knocked off the #1 team yesterday. Took 3 out of 4 and just might hang on to second place spot.

Additionally I’ve been taking full advantage of the pool
and finally got a chance to administer the litmus test on the WP-DC200 waterproof case I picked up way back when for my little Canon Powershot A20. I’m pretty happy with the results considering it’s only a 2.0 megapixel camera. The scenery in the pool isn’t all that exotic but hey, wadda’ya’gonna do? I grabbed an odd clay ashtray holder thingy off of the patio table as it had some bulk and probably wouldn’t float. Strange little piece. Something along the lines of Planet of the Apes meets Stonehenge. Not exactly Mayan ruins or the lost city of Atlantis but hey!!!, It’s a backyard pool. Better than just shooting the plaster. Got a great shot of Goliath from about 2 feet under hanging his head over the edge of the coping as he is prone to doing.

Took a few shots of the thing and the bubbles generated by the spa jets then wanted to try something different. Drug the clay piece over to the entry steps at the shallow end and inverted it. Took a few minutes fumbling around with the camera controls (hard to operate in the case without practice) and set it up for a 10 second delay. I pointed the camera toward the deep end and let the clay piece rest on the camera on or about the 2nd step. The case isn’t weighted and would just bob up and down in the water otherwise.
I’ll have to address this later. Worked out pretty well. Erik and I will have to try something at night and see how the flash works in the pool. I did get some backscatter on some of the images but nothing I couldn’t remedy in P-Shop or Elements.


Boy, I’d love to do this for real in Akumal… I’d hit the cenotes first thing. Check out Hidden Worlds if you’re not sure what I’m talking about. Snorkeling is fun…

I was trying out a wetsuit to see how it's buoyancy effected my bottom time while breathholding. It was nearly impossble to stay on the bottom with air in your lungs so I think a weightbelt of somesort is in order. The same was true when just wearing boardshorts and my Rusty rash guard. (UV protection)




Board shorts and my trusty Rusty...

Not quite naked but you didn't want to see that anyway!


I’ll amend the post or put up another one once the night experiment is done..

Oh yeah, and as usual you can just click on any image for the full size view...

-Scott

5 comments:

Phil said...

Man, those are some great images! Wish I had a waterproof case for my camera... and a pool... =)

Scott said...

Dude, I'm totally shocked at how nice they turned out. I'm keeping this camera for underwater use and upgrading to a Canon S2IS for land based shots. Sweet unit and the prices are dropping as they've just released the S3IS.. I still need to get a better job though.

Scott said...

Phil.. What camera do you have?

Scott said...

Hi AP.. It's a long haired dachschund actually. Kinda hard to tell from underwater. His name is Goliath. (Go-Go for short) Yep, no A/C but we deal with it. It would be a lot worse in Texas. Mattress has got to go. I'm downsizing for sure. Maybe moving. Rent me a room at that killer ranch on your blog!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.